CHL Announces National Bid Application Process and Timelines for the 100th MasterCard Memorial Cup in 2018
Toronto, ON – The Canadian Hockey League today announced the national bid application process and timelines for the hosting of the 2018 MasterCard Memorial Cup which will be the 100th edition of the league’s prestigious championship.
The historic celebration will take place May 17-27, 2018, and will feature a host CHL team along with the champions of the Western Hockey League, the Ontario Hockey League, and the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, competing in the traditional round-robin tournament format.
“On behalf of the Canadian Hockey League we are very excited to open the bidding process for this historic national event to CHL teams across the country,” said CHL President David Branch. “Our mission is to capture, preserve, and enhance the legacy of one of the most prestigious trophies in all of sport and engage the entire nation through this celebration that will also honour the brave men and women who served and continue to serve our country.”
2018 MasterCard Memorial Cup National Bid Application Process and Timelines:
- CHL to circulate national bid guidelines to all member clubs by July 15, 2016.
- Interested clubs to submit their intent to bid by September 1, 2016.
- Regional leagues (WHL, OHL, and QMJHL) to conduct regional bid process & submit a maximum of 2 bids to CHL by November 15, 2016.
- CHL to release shortlist by no later than November 30, 2016.
- National bid presentations to be heard by a National Site Selection Committee* by no later than January 31, 2017.
- CHL will announce the 2018 Host City the first week of February, 2017.
*National Site Selection Committee members and details will be announced at a later date.
The Memorial Cup has a rich tradition that has shaped the way junior hockey is played in North America. The trophy was originally known as the OHA Memorial Cup and was donated by the Ontario Hockey Association in March, 1919, in remembrance of the many soldiers who paid the supreme sacrifice for Canada in the First World War. In 2010 the Memorial Cup was rededicated to the memory of all fallen Canadian Military Personnel.
The 99th edition of the MasterCard Memorial Cup will be hosted by the Windsor Spitfires May 18-28, 2017.
For more information please visit www.mastercardmemorialcup.ca.