Volunteers – FAQ
Frequently Asked Questions
Without volunteers like you, the 2018 Mastercard Memorial Cup and Homecoming Weekend would be just a pipe dream instead of a reality. You and the rest of the volunteers in our great province are one of the main reasons that Regina was chosen for this momentous occasion – 100 years of hockey!
As a volunteer, you’ll receive a great uniform and an invitation to the volunteer appreciation event, but you’ll really receive so much more… meet new people from across the country, make new friends and have the chance to be at the center of the action!
- Is registration only online?
Yes, we ask volunteers to have a valid email in order to create their profile. Volunteers will be required to complete an online Volunteer Profile. We will use email to communicate with all volunteers. To complete your profile, you will need an email address. Remember: you may want to adjust your privacy settings on your email account so that the emails we send you don’t go into your junk folder! Most emails will be coming from email@example.com so be sure to put it in your “safe” list!
- Is there a fee for volunteering?
Yes, a twenty dollar commitment fee will be collected from each volunteer prior to receiving general orientation, training, and receiving the uniform. Please note this fee contributes to the overall volunteer experience. Fees will need to be submitted at the same time as the Criminal Record Check. Payments will need to be made by cash or cheque (made out to 2018 MMC).
- Is there a minimum amount of hours to commit to volunteering?
Yes, we’re asking that all volunteers commit to a minimum of 30 hours.
- Is there a minimum age for volunteering?
Yes, all volunteers must be 16 years old by December 31, 2017. Please note: there may be some positions which will require volunteers to be 19 years of age or older (i.e. working with alcohol).
- Will a Criminal Record Check be required?
Yes, all volunteers will be required to consent to a Criminal Record Check (CRC). Once registered through the volunteer management system volunteers will be instructed on how to complete it. Once it’s finished, it can be dropped off at the Regina Pats office 1463 Albert Street during regular office hours – 9 am – 5 pm – Monday to Friday (Note office is closed at 4 pm on game days).
- I already had a CRC completed as part of my job/other volunteer positions. Do I have to do it again?
Yes, each volunteer activity is a separate.
- What are the areas/events being recruited for?
– Arrival Ceremony
– Community Outreach
– Family Services
– Fan Fest/ Celebration Zone
– Homecoming Weekend (February 2018)
– Opening Banquet
– Team Services
– Volunteer Operations
With many of the details still being finalized on what tasks and shifts are needed for the Event and recognizing that for many it’s challenging to know their schedule six months out from the event, the actual scheduling of shifts won’t take place for a while yet. We encourage people to register online and that way we can continue to distribute information about the event and volunteering as it’s ready to go.
- How many volunteers are being recruited?
At this time we are we have set a goal of 500.
- What specific volunteer positions will there be?
Hosts, servers, bartenders, ticket attendants, entertainment assistants, drivers, airport/hotel greeters, security personnel and more!
- Will there be self-scheduling component to this registration system?
Yes, volunteers will be able to self-schedule once events have been finalized and shifts have been determined. An e-mail will be sent out to all registered volunteers to let them know when events are open for self-scheduling.
- Will orientation and training be provided?
Yes, all volunteers will receive general orientation & training which is mandatory prior to being assigned or scheduled. If any of the positions you sign up for need additional training, you’ll receive that after you’ve been confirmed for that position.
- Will photo accreditation be required for volunteering?
Yes; when you create your volunteer profile, you can upload a picture of yourself! To try to prevent any issues, please ensure it is a headshot that looks like you look now, that it is a .jpg and less than 3 MB in size. If possible, a white background would be best.
- If I volunteer do I get to watch the games for free?
The only way to watch the 2018 Mastercard Memorial Cup and/or Homecoming Weekend games will be to buy tickets.
- I have an office group that wants to volunteer together. Can we do that?
Yes! When you register, please put that in the “Who referred you” text box and to make sure we catch everyone, please provide lists of names and what role you are interested in to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- My group currently volunteers on Regina Pats game nights. Will we be needed? (i.e. 50/50 sellers, off-ice officials)
Those specialty groups that volunteer regularly during Regina Pats game nights will be informed by the Regina Pats directly what their role in the Mastercard Memorial Cup and/or Homecoming Weekend will be. We encourage anyone interested in volunteering to sign up early as only 500 volunteers will be accepted.
- When is the deadline to sign up as a volunteer for the 2018 Mastercard Memorial Cup and Homecoming Weekend?
The deadline for volunteer sign up for Homecoming Weekend is December 31, 2017, and for the Mastercard Memorial Cup is March 30, 2018 or when we reach 500 volunteers.
- I want to purchase a ticket package for the 2018 Mastercard Memorial Cup where can I find that information?
For information on tickets please go to mastercardmemorialcup.ca or reginapats.com
- Will there be a survey of volunteers after the event is over?
Yes, all volunteers will be asked to complete a short on-line questionnaire.
- If I have more questions, who do I contact?
Please email email@example.com. The volunteer organizing committee is monitoring it and will respond within 24 hours!